Plan your meals to give you energy all day
Planning and choosing the right foods can affect your energy levels for your entire day. Below are some suggestions to keep your energy levels up all day.
1. Plan your meals in advance. Planning is the best route to eating healthy. To maintain energy throughout the day match a protein with a carbohydrate.
2. Eat on a regular schedule. Instead of having no breakfast and then 2 large meals in a day, start having a real breakfast and then eat at regular interval afterwards. After kickstarting your day with a protein based breakfast (4 egg whites and wheat toast), eat every 4 hours to keep your energy level up.
3. Eat a good breakfast. Eating breakfast is the best way to kickstart your metabolism and keep on track for the day ahead. Sticking with a good protein source and a complex carbohydrate such as foods with high fiber content will help slow digestion down, helping maintain your energy. Try: 4-5 egg whites and 1 piece of whole-wheat toast, and 1 cup orange juice.
4. Minimize simple sugars. Simple sugars(candy, soda, cookies, and most energy bars, can spike glucose levels in the blood and move too much into your cells, which results in a crash. When your glucose levels come down too quickly, you will more than likely be overcome by fatigue. A few hours later, you will feel the need to have more simple (and counterproductive) sugars.
5. Go Low Fat. Eating a high fat meal will never be helpful to your health or energy level. Try to minimize your fat intake, especially trans fats, through the day especially at lunch when you are most susceptible to a energy low.
6. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration can lead to fatigue and low energy levels. Make sure you drink at least 8-10 glasses of water each day to maintain hydration, more if you are exercising. Gatorade type drinks are fine, but only with exercise to replace lost salts and electrolytes.
7. Start slow. If this type of meal planning is new to you, start slowly. Work your way towards a solid plan as a goal. If you start to quickly, it might feel like a shock to your system and feel more discouraging that healthful. Start with having breakfast and drinking more water, then slowly expand your health diet. Before you know it, your healthy and energy packed meal plan will be a regular part of your schedule and won't require a second thought.
[ Return to Index of Articles ]